(Excerpt from Administrative Regulation 5132)
The Lemoore Union Elementary School District requires that:
1. Students attending school must be clean. All clothing shall be neat, clean and acceptable in repair and appearance and shall be worn within the bounds of decency and good taste as appropriate for school.
2. Clothing must fit. Oversized, baggy or saggy clothing is prohibited. Pants cannot exceed 4 inches when measured at the kneecap of the straightened leg. Bottoms with bibs are not permitted for students in grades 4 through 8. Shorts are to be hemmed and not form fitting. The length of shorts and skirts shall be no higher than mid-thigh. Pants and shorts must fit and be worn at the natural waist. The bottom of the pant leg may not be frayed or drag on the ground. Pants must be hemmed and not stapled, pinned, or taped.
3. For Cinnamon, Engvall, Lemoore and Meadow Lane: All blouses and shirts, except for authorized school spirit shirts, must have a collar or turtleneck and be properly buttoned. "Henley" style shirts are not permitted. Oversized shirts that present a safety concern are not acceptable. All blouses and shirts must be clean, neat and properly tucked in at the waist.
For Liberty Middle School: All blouses and shirts, except for authorized school spirit shirts, must have a collar or turtleneck and be properly buttoned. "Henley" style shirts are not permitted. Oversized shirts that present a safety concern are not acceptable. All blouses and shirts must be clean and neat.
4. Clothing, jewelry and personal items (backpacks, binders, gym bags, water bottles etc.) shall be free of writing, pictures or any other insignia which are crude, vulgar, profane or sexually suggestive, which bear drug, alcohol or tobacco company advertising, promotions and likenesses, which display gang symbols, or which advocate racial, ethnic or religious prejudice. Clothing or other items that materially interfere with schoolwork, create disorder or disrupt the educational process are not allowed.
5. Any clothing or apparel that a student or group of students wear to identify themselves for the purpose of harassing, threatening, or intimidating others will not be allowed. Military, paramilitary, or camouflage attire will not be permitted.
6. Hats, caps and other head coverings shall not be worn in class. Students may wear sun-protecting clothing, including hats that must have a 360 degree sun-protecting brim of no more than 2 inches. However, knit caps may be worn outside of school buildings during cold or inclement weather.
7. Shoes must be worn at all times. Sandals must have heel straps. Backless shoes, open sandals, high-heeled shoes, slipper-type shoes and thongs are hazardous on the school playground and are not appropriate for school. No hard-toed or steel-toed shoes/boots will be allowed. No high top, laced up, combat, or military style boots will be allowed.
8. Also prohibited are jewelry items that may potentially cause injury, sunglasses (exceptions include medical reasons), and other decorations, ornaments and accessories not appropriate for elementary or middle school.
9. Appropriate undergarments that provide proper cover shall be worn. Clothes shall be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times. See-through or fishnet fabrics, halter tops, off-the-shoulder or low-cut tops, bare midriffs and skirts or shorts shorter than mid-thigh are prohibited. Leggings will be allowed if over garment is no shorter that mid-thigh.
10. Hair must be clean and show evidence of having been neatly groomed for school. Hair may not be sprayed by any coloring that would drip when wet. Hair that causes undue attention is not acceptable. Beards are not allowed.
11. Gym shorts, "sweat pants", and "athletic style" pants may not be worn in classes other than physical education. "Sweat pants" can be worn by students in grades Kindergarten through 3.
The principal at each school shall ensure that authorized school spirit shirts are viewpoint neutral and content neutral.